About the instrument
Type of InstrumentPrimary label: Questionnaire > Language background questionnaire
References for Publications
- Unsworth, S. (2013). Assessing the role of current and cumulative exposure in simultaneous bilingual acquisition: The case of Dutch gender.. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 16(1), 86-110. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1366728912000284.
- Unsworth, S. (2013). Assessing age of onset effects in (early) child L2 acquisition. Language Acquisition, 20(2), 74-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10489223.2013.766739.
- Unsworth, S. (2015). Amount of exposure as a proxy for dominance in bilingual language acquisition.. In C. Silva-Corvalan & J. Treffers-Daller (Eds.), Language dominance in bilinguals: Issues of measurement and operationalization (pp. 156-173). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Unsworth, S. (2016). Early child L2 acquisition: Age or input effects? Neither, or both? Journal of Child Language, 43(3), 603-634. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S030500091500080X.
- Unsworth, S., Argyi, F., Cornips, L., Hulk, A., Sorace, A., & Tsimpli, I. (2014). On the role of age of onset and input in early child bilingualism in Greek and Dutch.. Applied Psycholinguistics, 35(4), 765-805. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0142716412000574.
More Instrument Details
Type of File
Language(s) in which the Instructions were Written
Source(s) of Funding
Instrument Title or Name
- BILingual Language Experience Calculator (BiLEC)
- 1. This instrument was originally dubbed the Utrecht Bilingual Language Exposure Calculator (UBiLEC). Its name has since been changed to better reflect its content (and the author's current affiliation). However, its contents remain in essence the same. 2. An earlier version of the instrument (BiLEC_Nov2016.xls) was found to contain a number of errors. See the erratum (July 2017) for more details.
Participants in the Study
- Heritage speakers
- First language learners
- Primary school
- Second language learners
- Adolescent learners
- Young learners
Ages of Learners
- From a few months to 18 years