The IRIS Replication Award(Download PDF version)
£300 will be awarded annually to a published (or accepted) self-labelled replication* using materials held on IRIS.
Submissions must include:
i) the article/chapter (with evidence of ‘in press’ status if not already published);
ii) the materials from IRIS and any adaptations of them (adaptations should also be uploaded to IRIS, with a Note to link it to the earlier study’s materials).
IRIS now accepts data of all kinds, and we encourage applicants to submit their raw data along with their other materials.
Submissions can be made to email@example.com at any time. The first round will close 30th November 2018. The study must have been published (or in press) from 2016 onwards. All submissions will be reviewed by the IRIS directors and up to two anonymous reviewers. The first award will be announced by 1 January 2019.
Criteria for award
Submissions will be welcome from any area of second language research (broadly defined, including multilingualism, language education, research methodology). All methodological approaches and theoretical perspectives are welcome.
Submissions will be reviewed against the following criteria:
- Strength of the justification for the replication.
- Soundness and transparency of methods and analysis, including clarity about how these are similar/different to those of the initial study.
- How well the discussion and conclusions are warranted by the methods, data and analysis.
- How well the findings from the initial study are integrated into the set-up, analysis and interpretation of the replication.
Special consideration will be given to:
- Multi-site replications
- Open data
- Pre-registered studies
- Direct or partial replications (though we emphasize that conceptual replications, which change more than one significant variable, are also welcome)
Replications using materials developed by IRIS Directors are not eligible.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
*The study is labeled as a replication in the title and/or abstract.
(Download PDF version)